Class Question

Questions about club policy, car classification, etc...
jayflea22

Class Question

Postby jayflea22 » Wed Sep 30, 2015 2:13 pm

I will be making some suspension changes to my stock Miata. Replacing sway bars, dampers and springs. The new springs are GC coilover sleeves so I have the abiliy to alter ride height. Also, I am changing from 16x7 wheels to 15x8. Reading the SCCA rules it seems if I only change the front sway bar and maintain the stock ride height I can continue as ES. If I chane both sway bars, that alone will put me in a ST class, as will lowering the ride ride height. Can someone advise me on this? If I do switch both bars and lower height, what class am I in. Thanks.
Jay

lucky7s

Re: Class Question

Postby lucky7s » Wed Sep 30, 2015 4:33 pm

I think changing the wheel from 7 to 8 inches wide might move you from the stock/street class to street touring but I'm not sure
Mark D
Shifter Kart
Caterham 7

Apollyon12

Postby Apollyon12 » Thu Oct 01, 2015 4:29 am

All the above mentioned mods are Street Touring legal.

Street class legal mods:
-change your wheels by 1" in diameter and/or 7mm in offset, but no change in width.
-any shocks/struts
-may change one sway bar, front or rear, but not both

Street Touring class legal mods:
-Wider wheels (limited per specific ST class)
-Coil-overs
-spring rate change
-two sway bars

Obviously there are more mods you can do in each class than were mentioned. Just highlighting what the OP said he was planning.
"Welding without gloves is like frying bacon in the nude." -David Baker, Forged in Fire

Matt F. - #69
2008 AllKart Falcon 2 CR125

jayflea22

Postby jayflea22 » Thu Oct 01, 2015 12:28 pm

Thanks. So would I be STS, STX,or STR?

SoloSE-R
Purveyor of unique ideas

Postby SoloSE-R » Thu Oct 01, 2015 8:12 pm

STS is limited to a 7.5" wheel and 2-seaters are not eligible for STX, so STR it is.
Josh
2007 Honda S2000 - Laguna Blue - B Street - TCK DA Konis/Karcepts FSB/no muffler/Hankook RS3
2005 Volvo V70R - Titanium Grey - 6MT - Stock - DD

jd42

Postby jd42 » Thu Mar 31, 2016 10:04 am

Since this thread already exists concerning Miata classing, I thought I'd put my question here rather than starting a new thread.

I might have an opportunity to pick up a good used differential with 3.363 gears. This is on my long-term modification list, originally planned to accompany the addition of a turbo. In addition to lowering revs on the highway a bit, this will make the overall 1-5 ratios in the 6-speed line up very close with the overall ratios of a 5-speed + 4.30 final drive.

Reviewing the SCCA rules, I couldn't seem to find language specifically about ring & pinion changes, other than the explicit exclusion from Street classes. What am I overlooking? My gut feel is this would not be legal in STR (where I plan to run the Miata this season), but I just want to confirm I should hold off until I'm ready to go turbo and move up to SSM.
STR 2003 Mazda Miata LS

"The driver who keeps the front tires the straightest will win."

eg8tuner

Postby eg8tuner » Thu Mar 31, 2016 11:54 am

just move to SSM and play with the big cars :P
1996 Turbo Otter
#14 in honor of Eric
"Driving the Sonett is to driving my car as underwater tig welding on flammable gas tanks is to super gluing Popsicle sticks."~Richard
best thing I've ever heard/read

jd42

Postby jd42 » Thu Mar 31, 2016 11:59 am

eg8tuner wrote:just move to SSM and play with the big cars :P

As I indicated, that is the endgame. Until then I need to plan when and where the intermediate stages happen.
STR 2003 Mazda Miata LS

MR Chuck

Postby MR Chuck » Thu Mar 31, 2016 12:53 pm

I don't think you are allowed to change final drive ratio until SM. Unless it's offered as an option on some other package for your model (and on the same line in the appendix classing), then it might be allowed in SP.

Typically, if it doesn't say you can, you can't. The only clear allowance is the open drivetrain allowances in SM.
Charlie #12
2004 Infiniti G35 ESP-T

jd42

Postby jd42 » Thu Mar 31, 2016 3:51 pm

MR Chuck wrote:I don't think you are allowed to change final drive ratio until SM. Unless it's offered as an option on some other package for your model (and on the same line in the appendix classing), then it might be allowed in SP.

Typically, if it doesn't say you can, you can't. The only clear allowance is the open drivetrain allowances in SM.

After a second look, I think I found the sections I'd missed earlier that you are describing.

16.1 D. says that for SM, drivetrain and related components are unrestricted (with a few exceptions). So that's where final drive ratios are legal in SM.

15.1 C. covers what you stated about SP. So I think other standard final drive ratios that were available on the NB Miata (4.30, 4.10, 3.909) are okay for SP. The 3.636 was not available on the Miata in the US, but was available on the NB MX-5 in other markets (specifically Australia). So I'm guessing it is out below SM?
STR 2003 Mazda Miata LS

Return to “Club Questions & Rules”