Warning lights?

I'm in ur Honda, swappin' ur motorz
Rocwandrer

Warning lights?

Postby Rocwandrer » Fri Aug 02, 2013 3:09 pm

Based on not enough dash real estate and wanting a decently slick installation, I sold my oil pressure gauge and switched to warning lights. I bought new pressure and temperature light sending units (both with a high turn on low turn off adjustable switch point setup), a couple relays, spools of wire, loom tube, etc all for less than I got for the pressure gauge.

The lights I picked are some slick looking "ultra-bright" LED warning lights in 4 different colors from Summit (plan to have low fluid warning and water injection active lights too). I picked them based on being bright, distinct colors in the same style, and only requiring a 1/4" mounting hole. As it turns out, they are not bright enough to be seen in indoor light, let alone the direct sunlight of a convertible with the top down.

Anyone have personal experience with very bright warning lights? my priorities:

Must be attention getting in daylight
smaller is better
nice to have multiple colors

eg8tuner

Re: Warning lights?

Postby eg8tuner » Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:25 pm

1996 Turbo Otter
#14 in honor of Eric
"Driving the Sonett is to driving my car as underwater tig welding on flammable gas tanks is to super gluing Popsicle sticks."~Richard
best thing I've ever heard/read

saabman
CMC Weather Chair

Postby saabman » Sat Aug 03, 2013 8:47 am

Not to rain on your parade, but warning lights are next to useless in my opinion. They essential can tell you when danger it about to or has been reached. I find an oil pressure gauge reveals much as I look at what it is doing. Does it read 65 psi or 62. at idle. Well above the threashold for a light but full of good info. A light in combination with a gauge is good. But that is more space. Can you put a guage pod on the A pillar.
Chris

1971 Saab Sonett, #97
CMC 2002-2011 A/X Chair

pdool09

Postby pdool09 » Sat Aug 03, 2013 10:23 am

I have a brand new AEM UEGO. If your interested let me know. This has a lot of info in one place.
Patrick D
#173 2005 SMF Scion Tc
#113 2013 SM Scion FR-S
Sold 2013 VW Golf GTI
Sold 1992 Acura Integra

Rocwandrer

Postby Rocwandrer » Sat Aug 03, 2013 12:06 pm

saabman wrote:Not to rain on your parade, but warning lights are next to useless in my opinion. They essential can tell you when danger it about to or has been reached. I find an oil pressure gauge reveals much as I look at what it is doing. Does it read 65 psi or 62. at idle. Well above the threashold for a light but full of good info. A light in combination with a gauge is good. But that is more space. Can you put a guage pod on the A pillar.

I don't disagree with you. If I had oil pressure and temperature gauges, I'd pick oil viscosity based on that data, for example. Lights are just supposed to do one of the many gauge functions, alert me to impending danger to the engine. I realize the time window between light coming on and taking action is much narrower with a light than a gauge, but I'm living with that for now. I have 3 gauges in the center cubby. There is a 3 gauge pillar pod available. Pillar pods in a convertible street car scream for unwanted attention from police louder than a bfw, imo. I've been avoiding that pretty well for about a decade now...

Rocwandrer

Postby Rocwandrer » Sat Aug 03, 2013 12:12 pm

pdool09 wrote:I have a brand new AEM UEGO. If your interested let me know. This has a lot of info in one place.

What info does it display other than AFR? Amazon blew out a ton of those this spring for $138, and I ended up buying the plx setup for it's functional narrowband simulation, history graph, better wiring configuration for my car, and better quality assessments in reviews (despite the much higher price and poorer customer support.)

Rocwandrer

Postby Rocwandrer » Sat Aug 03, 2013 12:22 pm

eg8tuner wrote:http://lighthouseleds.com/3mm-12v-pre-wired-led-red-ultra-bright-15-000-mcd.html for red

all selection
http://lighthouseleds.com/pre-wired-led ... -leds.html

Those only work out to about 1.7 lumens, so I am skeptical they are bright enough to be obvious in sunlight. Have you seen them in person?

robinlsb

Postby robinlsb » Sat Aug 03, 2013 1:49 pm

Robin

Rocwandrer

Postby Rocwandrer » Sat Aug 03, 2013 4:29 pm

robinlsb wrote:http://bluewiremotorsport.com/products/billet-dash-pilot-light-red

Have you used/seen these in daylight?

Rocwandrer

Postby Rocwandrer » Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:14 pm

Based on a recommendation elsewhere for the accent strips from them, I bought individual panel mount pre-wired LEDs from superbrightleds.com.

Also bought a 9 hz 66% duty cycle flasher unit so I can get the oil pressure light to be more attention getting. Here's hoping.....

Return to “Project and Technical Forum”