Got to love mod problems...

I'm in ur Honda, swappin' ur motorz
Zoomy

Got to love mod problems...

Postby Zoomy » Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:13 am

Drove the car to Lewiston the other day after the Loring event and could smell rubber burning and the loss of the distinctive whine of the supercharger. "Hmmm...what now?" I say to myself. :banghead: So I stop the car and check under the hood and it appears that the bearings on one of the small belt idler pulleys went bad and seized the pulley causing the backside of the belt to heat up incredibly fast and really hot. It apparently got hot enough to melt the plastic belt tensioner pulley as well as cause the belt to bubble and blister and to snap in half. Fortunately the cost for replacement for both pulleys and the belt is less than $100 so I should be back on the road in time for the event this weekend. Just another headache to deal with...but on the brighter side...it didn't happen while I was at Loring, although the event at Loring is probably what led up to the bearing failure shortly after.
Attachments
Fried SC Belt 2.jpg
Fried SC Belt 2.jpg (113.92 KiB) Viewed 1329 times
~ #155...'07 2.4L Supercharged Solstice
Thumpshit...a repetitive noise one hears when hitting cones.

"I had more fun and was more scared in the Pontiac Solstice" ~ Vanhtha Souvannasing [in response to ride alongs during the Bill Dodge Open House Drifting/Autocross Day]

Rocwandrer

Re: Got to love mod problems...

Postby Rocwandrer » Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:42 am

What a mess. Glad the lack of distinctive SC whine had you pull over before whatever else runs off of that belt ceasing functioning caused more problems!

Zoomy

Re: Got to love mod problems...

Postby Zoomy » Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:03 pm

The company that made the aftermarket kit was very wise in its design of the pulley system functions. The main crank pulley actually consists of 3 pulleys vs. just 1. The water pump and alternator run off of a separate pulley as does the power steering unit and they utilize a smaller V-belt design. The big primary pulley on the crank runs just the supercharger and is of the 6 rib design. When the belt or supercharger blades fail, the throttle body acts just like a normally aspirated engine so I can continue to drive the car sans the extra power of course.
~ #155...'07 2.4L Supercharged Solstice
Thumpshit...a repetitive noise one hears when hitting cones.

"I had more fun and was more scared in the Pontiac Solstice" ~ Vanhtha Souvannasing [in response to ride alongs during the Bill Dodge Open House Drifting/Autocross Day]

Return to “Project and Technical Forum”