What make s a Miata tick?

I'm in ur Honda, swappin' ur motorz
eg8tuner

Re: What make s a Miata tick?

Postby eg8tuner » Sun May 17, 2015 10:43 pm

The Story
So its time to revive this thread again just incase anyone is wondering whats been going on in the world of the ugliest turbo miata around.

After loring last year the car lost the ability to idle and would not fire on all cylinders intermittently.
I made the decision to change computers from the Link that had come with the car to a Megasquirt based on the large amount of information available for this solution.

When i finally got around to pulling the trigger on this purchase the MS3 had been developed into a PNP Pro version which had support for all the miata harness's as well as all the features i needed to run my engine swap described above, with out the need for the VVTuner.
The Install
i chose to go with a 94-95 version of the PNP Pro since it is the harness currently in my car (back dated for the Link) this did require me rerouting some of the wires i added for the wideband and VVT as well as verifying all the harness wires that had been moved for the Link back date.

While i was inspecting the wires and moving them over to another plug (in better shape) i noticed that the IAC wire had broken off from its plug. one problem solved. i also noticed that the Link uses the power steering pressure switch wire to transmit its IAT sensor on the pin used for.... i cant remember but not what its supposed to do.

I reused this wire for the GM IAT i installed and placed the pin in the proper location. and additional plug was obtained to connect the wires for crank cam and VVT.

The car did initially start on the 94-95 maps with changes made for WBo2 and the 01-05 signals, but it wasnt right. I have since loaded the 01-05 maps and the motor sounds smooth and strong. as an added bonus the tech actually reads the proper RPM now.

Whats Left
I still need to install the EBC, install an new speedo cable, and repair a break in the down pipe. I hope to have this work done in the next few weeks then its time for inspection and tuning. less butt and more roller dyno this time.
1996 Turbo Otter
#14 in honor of Eric
"Driving the Sonett is to driving my car as underwater tig welding on flammable gas tanks is to super gluing Popsicle sticks."~Richard
best thing I've ever heard/read

eg8tuner

Postby eg8tuner » Sun Jul 12, 2015 7:20 pm

the saga continues......
I thought that i had roached a bearing to do with the input shaft on my transmission but after driving it home and listening to the very loud clicking in various gears and speeds i believe i have sheared at least one tooth off 2nd gear.... OOPS. i think that was from shock loading coming through the stop box at full boost over the bump. sourcing new trans
1996 Turbo Otter
#14 in honor of Eric
"Driving the Sonett is to driving my car as underwater tig welding on flammable gas tanks is to super gluing Popsicle sticks."~Richard
best thing I've ever heard/read

Rocwandrer

Postby Rocwandrer » Sun Jul 12, 2015 7:49 pm

Yet another tick....

Return to “Project and Technical Forum”