Car Audio

I'm in ur Honda, swappin' ur motorz
saabman
CMC Weather Chair

Car Audio

Postby saabman » Fri Oct 11, 2013 8:12 pm

So I got after another one of my long dormant projects, that is replacing the factory radio head unit in the 3000GT. I am installing a Pioneer AVIC140BT.

First an observation, the 140BT has a 10 amp fuse, but the wires on the harness cant be bigger than 20 gauge. Whats up with that?

So the 140BT has a single "system trigger" output. One part of the installation guide shows this connected to the power antenna. In another place it is used to turn on an external power amp. Well I have both of those. So I seem to have 2 options

1) Wire both the power antenna and the power amp trigger to the system trigger output

2) Wire power antenna to system trigger, and connect power amp trigger to switched 12 volts.

Thoughts??
Chris

1971 Saab Sonett, #97
CMC 2002-2011 A/X Chair

kustomizm

Re: Car Audio

Postby kustomizm » Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:55 pm

Chris typically on most after market head units there is a blue wire that is the remore wire to turn on the external amp. And most have a power antenna one too. If not I would wire them together the blue remote wite to the amp and antenna. Red to constant power and the yellow to switched and black ground.
In the past I had some kick a** stereos. You should have bought a wire harness that was mated to the cars harness. Almost plug and play.
Derek R. #30 Silver 2011 Ford Mustang GT

kustomizm

Postby kustomizm » Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:00 pm

Hopefully my memory serves. The red and yellow may be flipped. I guess I need to check out one of my old boxes.
Derek R. #30 Silver 2011 Ford Mustang GT

saabman
CMC Weather Chair

Postby saabman » Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:48 pm

I have done a bit more research and I am going to power the amp with switched 12 volts. That is when the head unit sees 12 volts the amp will too. This will insure that the amp is on when playing DVDs, blue tooth etc. The antenna will go up with just the tuner is on using the blue lead. Red is switched, and yellow is hot.
Chris

1971 Saab Sonett, #97
CMC 2002-2011 A/X Chair

saabman
CMC Weather Chair

Postby saabman » Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:48 am

What was Pioneer thinking with their in-motion disabling of many of the features in their AVIC HD units. You cant even change fade/balance when the parking brake signal is not active. I have not hooked that up yet, as I am going with a parking brake disable mod. (waiting on a short wire with the right harness pin)

But at least it defaults to HD radio, and auto digital. This is the first digital capable non oem radio I have installed. I am still mulling over the routing of the GPS anntenna. I think I will fab something up like I did for the GPS on the Sonett (under the glass of the rear hatch)
Chris

1971 Saab Sonett, #97
CMC 2002-2011 A/X Chair

pdool09

Postby pdool09 » Mon Oct 14, 2013 12:40 pm

I did the parking brake mod for mine too.
Patrick D
#173 2005 SMF Scion Tc
#113 2013 SM Scion FR-S
Sold 2013 VW Golf GTI
Sold 1992 Acura Integra

saabman
CMC Weather Chair

Postby saabman » Sat Oct 19, 2013 6:55 pm

Parking brake mod complete.

Now testing out various GPS antenna locations. I want a hidden look, no wires or the gps antenna itself showing. Did a test in the center console (which has a cover) and in the garage it locked on to 4 satelites. I think I may make a plaform to get to the top of the console (just below the cover). The glass sunroof sits overhead, and oblque angles through all the glass would hit the center of the car.

Next up is to tackle the steering wheel controls and interfacing them with a PAC SWI-RC
Chris

1971 Saab Sonett, #97
CMC 2002-2011 A/X Chair

SoloSE-R
Purveyor of unique ideas

Postby SoloSE-R » Sun Oct 20, 2013 12:21 am

saabman wrote:Parking brake mod complete.

Next up is to tackle the steering wheel controls and interfacing them with a PAC SWI-RC

Report back on how that goes, I need to install one on the new S2000 to get the dash controls to work with the Pioneer deck it came with. I can barely manage to change the volume or radio station on the deck without getting it into some control menu I can't get it out of. I suppose I could read the manual...
Josh
2007 Honda S2000 - Laguna Blue - B Street - TCK DA Konis/Karcepts FSB/no muffler/Hankook RS3
2005 Volvo V70R - Titanium Grey - 6MT - Stock - DD

saabman
CMC Weather Chair

Postby saabman » Sun Oct 20, 2013 6:12 pm

The PAC SWI-RC is quite a nice little adapter. It will work with resitance or serial steering wheel controls. The 3000GT has the latter. Got it working, my only challenge was deciding how to map the 6 buttons on the wheel. 4 of 6 were obvious (MUTE, AM/FM, VOL+, VOL-) but the other 2 had no direct corollary, so I made them channel + and channel -. My only tip is to write down the mappings you want, because it times out pretty fast if you are not ready with each programming step.

Ran the GPS antenna wire through the center console. I will be making a platform for it in the center cubby. Just sitting there is locked on to a bunch of satelites so I think it will work very well. The NAV is certainly not equal to a modern Garmin, but it is very slick to have it integrated in the head unit with no outward signs.
Chris

1971 Saab Sonett, #97
CMC 2002-2011 A/X Chair

HOUSEW

Postby HOUSEW » Tue Dec 31, 2013 5:31 pm

very cool chris, is it still working out for you?

i had a similar unit (older avic f90bt) in my denali with the gps antenna on a tray under the dash plastic and it always got signal just fine. I also used and liked the PAC modules for the steering wheel controls, and bypassed the parking brake. I tried without the bypass initially, but it was obnoxious.

when i sold the truck i left it in it and went with a kenwood for my new unit (installing now) because it actually does use garmin tecnology and maps. The parking bypass is more involved though :(.

either way the pioneer should be a good unit, i always liked mine.

Return to “Project and Technical Forum”